Keeping your carpets clean can be challenging at the best of times but throw a couple of kids into the mix and most Moms will tell you that you have a recipe for disaster. The good news is that you can keep your carpets and the rest of your house clean with a couple of ingenious and creative ideas. The knowledgeable experts at Steam Masters have provided the following tips to help you stay ahead of the kids when tackling your carpet cleaning duties this summer.
How to Keep Entryway & Other Carpet Clean with Kids
1. Kiddie pools: Whether you decide on the inflatable kind or the plastic kind, kiddie pools are an excellent way to keep your kids belongings in one place thus restricting their ability to make a big mess. Kiddie pools are made from easy to clean materials that do a great job of containing spills without the worry of food or drink accidents spilling over onto your carpet.
2. Shower curtains: Another solution to keep your carpets free from spills and other debris is to spread a plastic shower curtain over your carpet where your kids have a tendency to play. Plastic shower curtains are easy to clean and easily stored when not in use.
3. Designated eating area: Make your kitchen table a designated eating area and make the rest of your home out-of-bounds. When you allow your kids to eat meals or snacks on the couch, in their room or other areas of your home that you can’t control you run the risk of accidental spills on your carpets and soft furnishings. The good news is that once this rule is firmly established you won’t have to worry about your carpet getting stained and you will be less stressed getting the house tidy.
4. No shoes on carpet rule: Another great way to keep your carpets clean and free of dirt is to ask your family and guests to leave their shoes at the door. Keep a shoe rack inside your door to store shoes and other items. Not only will your carpets be cleaner, it will also help keep bacteria and germs out of your home. According to research, shoes can carry as many as nine different types of bacteria on a single pair some of which can make you and your family members sick.
5. Professional carpet cleaning services: vacuuming your carpet on a regular basis certainly helps to maintain your carpets and rugs but no matter how careful you are it is inevitable that someone will spill a drink or drop some food. Sprinkling baking soda on your carpet and allowing it to sit for ten minutes before vacuuming is an excellent way to keep your carpets smelling fresh. Investing in a professional carpet cleaning service twice a year will help you extend the life of your carpets and keep them looking, feeling, and smelling great all year round.