Carpets are very absorbent and have a tendency to retain odors derived from food and liquid spills as well as pet accidents, smoking and other such origins. If you are successful in removing the stains, the odors can possibly linger, causing foul smells that musk up the home. With a few household agents, you can remove a lot of those odors and today we at Steam Masters would like to offer some tips to use those products to help clear out the odors on your carpet.
How to Remove Pet, Wet, Chemical or Other Odor from Carpet & Keep it Smelling Fresh
1) Remove Stains. Before treating the odors on your carpet, remove any spots or stains. Dry stains will need to be dampened prior to removal. There are several products that can be used to remove stains such as white vinegar, baking soda, and traditional carpet cleaners. No matter how you
2) Baking Soda. To tackle the odors on the carpet, generously sprinkle the baking soda over the entire spread of carpet. Baking soda will trap odors and applying a thin layer will help neutralize many of the different odors. If any clumps, break it apart with your fingers.
3) Wait. It is in your better interest that you allow the baking to sit for several hours, but in cases where the odor is severe, allowing it sit over night will be more beneficial. Just be sure kids and pets are stayed clear of the area.
4) Vacuum the Baking Soda. Thoroughly vacuum the baking soda; ensure the corners and edges are completely vacuumed. Be sure to monitor your vacuums collection container or bag as baking soda will quickly accumulate and will need to be cleaned out often.
5) Additional Neutralizer. If baking soda proves ineffective with the tougher odors, you can use a tougher concoction that can also fight stains. It contains hydrogen peroxide which has the potential to lighten carpet dye, do a patch test first. Combine 2 tbsp hydrogen peroxide, ¼ cup baking soda, 1 tsp mild liquid dish soap, and 1 quart of water; mix well in a squirt bottle. Be sure to wear gloves during mixing and application.
6) Apply Mixture. Spraying proves to be a more even application but sponging the mixture is sufficient, just do not over saturate the carpet. Wearing gloves moderately spray the formula over the surfaces.
7) Wait. Leave the formula on undisturbed for 24 hours; be sure the room is well ventilated with open windows and fans. Keep children and pets off the carpets while it sits.
8) Dry. If after the 24 hour is up and the carpet still feels wet, use a towel and weight to pull up remaining moisture. Keep windows open if weather permits as well as fans to expedite the drying. Once the carpets are fully dry; vacuum the carpet thoroughly to remove any remaining debris.
Professional Steam Carpet Cleaning, Stain & Odor Removal & More in Santa Ana, Irvine, Anaheim & Huntington Beach California
If odors continue to persist, consult with Steam Masters and our specialists will evaluate the issue and present the most optimal solution. Our carpet cleaning services are proven to clean, sanitize, and deodorize. Call us to schedule your next appointment today!