Occasional spills are unavoidable. Spills can cause unsightly blemishes on the carpets you work so hard to keep vibrant and plush. Among children and adults alike, milk is a common beverage many enjoy throughout the day. It is also a common additive in coffee, milk, and other such foods. Since milk is frequently used, it is one of the most common elements that is spilled or dropped onto carpets. Though milk is not as scary as say red wine, if not promptly and properly treated, milk can be very a very problematic stain which also quickly develops odors. There are a few household ingredients as well as effective carpet cleaners that can effectively remove the milk from the carpets before they evolve into smelly stains with quick reaction. With this in mind, we at Orange County Steam Masters would like to offer a few suggestions on how you can efficiently remove milk from your California carpets.
Patch Test Carpet Stain
Quick Note: You should perform a patch test in an inconspicuous area to ensure the homemade solution or commercial carpet cleaning products is cohesive to our carpets. During the patch test, look for visible signs of fading, discoloration, or potential damage to the fibers before treating the spilled milk likely in an obvious location on the carpet.
How to Clean Milk Out of Carpet with Liquid Dish Soap Solution
1) Sop up the excess milk with a blotting or patting technique using heavy pressure and a paper towel, clean cloth, or towel
2) In your choice of bucket, bowl, or squirt bottle, combine 2 cups of warm water with 1 tbsp of liquid dishwashing soap. Use this solution to pre-dampen a cloth and blot the milk with treated cloth, repeat as necessary.
3) Use diluted ammonia in the event the milk is a stain and requires more potency. Combine 1 tbsp of ammonia with 2 cups of warm. Treat a new cloth with the diluted solutions and blot the residual milk from the carpet.
4) Be sure to use a water-damp cloth to rinse the solution residue away, no matter which solution was used.
5) After the area is completely treated, use a clean towel to absorb as much moisture as possible.
Remove Milk Stain on Carpet with Baking soda
1) Immediately remove excess milk by blotting the spill with a paper towel or rag.
2) Once the area is damp, use a water dampen cloth to blot the area.
3) The area should still be damp, generously sprinkle baking soda, or corn starch if you do not have baking soda, over the area. Allow it to set until completely dry (about 30 Min) and then vacuum the particles. As the baking soda dries, it will absorb the moisture while eliminating potential odor development.
Carpet, Rug, Sofa Cleaning & More in Santa Ana, Irvine, Anaheim & Huntington Beach California
If the milk is left to linger and dry out, it can become more problematic and susceptible to developing odors and bacteria. If it becomes challenging to remove, call Orange County Steam Masters and let our certified experts clean, sanitize, and deodorize your carpets. We will remove the milk and any attached odors and bacteria.