Many consumers prefer tile and grout floors in many rooms of their home and business. In homes, it is primarily used in kitchens, bathrooms and laundry rooms due to the moisture resistance. With easy maintenance and other benefits such as durability, affordability, and versatility, porcelain tile is frequently used for flooring options. In most situations, a damp cloth is enough to treat spills, and maybe a few dabs of lighter fluid for the more stubborn spots. However, if you are looking for alternatives, we at Orange County Steam Masters have prepared a list of common porcelain tile stains and the remedies.
How to Remove Mold & Mildew from Tile & Grout
Make a solution with 4 cups water and 1 cup laundry bleach; sponge it on over the mildew areas. You may need to use a commercial mildew remover that includes sodium hypochlorite and sodium carbonate in the ingredients for the resistant mildew stains. If you use this method, be sure the room is well ventilated, and you wear gloves.
Hard Water Deposits: Generously sprinkle baking soda over the surface of the hard water deposit and soap scum residues, and scrub with clean, warm water.
How to Clean Greasy Floor Tiles
Oil – Make a thick paste by mixing together household scouring powder and water. In paste form, apply the mixture to the oil stain and let it seep in overnight. With warm water, scrub the area clean and ensure to let it dry well.
Grease – Grease: With hot water, either mix a strong household detergent or a solution made of trisodium phosphate, dip a stiff-bristled brush and use circular scrubbing patterns to break the grease away. Rinse the area clean with a warm water-dampen cloth.
How to Remove Paint from Tile & Grout
Remove fresh oil-based paint with a cloth dipped in turpentine or paint thinner. For fresh water-based paint, warm water and mid dishwashing liquid dipped by a cloth to work the paint out is efficient. Use a soft-bristled brush to scrub and the appropriate solution.
Cleaning Coffee Stains on Tile
To scrub the coffee stain clean, sprinkle baking soda over the coffee stain and use a clean, water-dampen cloth. Rinse any baking soda residues away with a separate water-damp cloth after the stain is dissolved.
Treat Tea & Fruit Juice Stains on Tile
To wash the affected area, mix a solution of 1 tablespoon trisodium phosphate and 4 cups hot water. Immediately follow up with 4 cups of water mixed with 3 tablespoons laundry bleach. Once the stain is removed, be sure to use a water-damp, clean cloth to remove the residues.
How to Remove Scuff Marks from Porcelain Tile
Use a neutral floor cleaner diluted at one ounce per gallon of water to mop away the scuff marks by shoe heels and the sneakers’ rubber burns. Be sure to dry well.
Additional Porcelain Tile Stain Removal Tips
1) Be sure to complete a patch test on a small, inconspicuous are of the tile and grout to ensure it does not compromise before you use any detergent or chemicals.
2) Keep in mind higher concentrations of cleaners can be challenging to rinse clean so only use commercial products and the above dilution as directed.
3) Unless otherwise directed, let the described mixtures above set for 5-10 minutes to optimize results.
4) Avoid harsh abrasive scrubbing paraphernalia and stick with a nylon pad or a bristle brush for scrubbing the porcelain tile.
5) Be sure to always finish the treatment by rinsing the surface clean of residues, otherwise, the stain can resurface from the compromised solution setting in.
6) Prevent a lot of these stains by immediately wiping up any spills.